Thread: wood source,,
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitdynamics View Post
Sorry to get everyones panties in a bunch about posting a lumber yard that carries AYC. I know some people get there wood there that build commercially, but if it wasnt for this site, i wouldnt have found out where to get it to do my own recreational building. I was just trying to pass on the info for another rec builder. I figure the more plug builders buy the more they order and keep it available, maybe even have more available in sizes for us.
Welcome to the site. The spirit of the place is about passing on information. That someone would consider listing a lumberyard as spot burning certainly sends the wrong message and I am sorry it happened to you on your first post.

For those looking for AYC this thread contains an option in RI, http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ghlight=source

M&D's often has it in Wareham

Not sure, however, you want it. First it is pretty toxic stuff (HA/sinus/asthma issues). Secondly, it is an awkward density....a bit heavy for surface plugs, a bit light for deep stuff. Thirdly, none of the classic plugs used it so if you intend to copy something old you won't get it right. Finally, it is expensive. Pine, Basswood, Port Orford Cedar (sold as 4x4 at lumber yards), soft maple, and even well sealed poplar make excellent plugs. Any place that carries hardwoods/furniture lumber will have a good selection and many will slice it up for you. Try Downes&Reader in Stoughton. AYC's main advantages are its uniformity, ease of working, and that it comes dimensioned in a size that is convenient for plug building.

In any case, welcome again......let's see what you are building.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote