View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #16
Surfcastinglife

i wouldnt bother with a service plan from best buy or any other retailer....they SUCK. best bet is to either extend via manufacturer directly as was mentioned, OR check with ur CC company...some have extensions to manufacturer's warranties already in place if you use them. those "service plans" at BB and the like are designed to increase margins on big ticket items that have very little profitability for the store. also, when you go buy the HDMI cable...DONT do it at the retailer, unless you enjoy paying 500% markup. check out monoprice.com for the HDMI cables.
i've got a samsung plasma 42 inches its 720p but at that size you cannot tell the difference from1080p unless you are sitting closer than 5ft from the set. plasma's tend to have deeper blacks but do consume more power, i love my samsung a450. paid 800 bucks for it, never had any problems. avsforum is a great site for all the technical info, i would suggest spending some time on there for research.
as far as playing blu ray movies....i use my PS3 not sure if you are a gamer or not but the ps3 is one of the best players on the market (some say its the best) and it does an awesome job of upconverting regular DVDs into 1080i. regular DVD's look awesome on my TV played via the ps3

good luck on your search, and remember to keep your own personal needs as a priority. Getting a TV that fits YOUR intended use is the key to being satisfied with your purchase regardless of how much you spend

edit: i personally watch lots of movies and play ps3 on my TV, sports look awesome, IIRC i read an article while searching that said plasma's do better than LCD's with sports due to the fast motion.....i'll try and dig it up
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote