Thread: SNOWBLOWER
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
maddog2020

I used an 5 hp Ariens for 7 yrs that belong to my father for 10 yrs before I got it and I gave it to a coworker who in turn gave it to another former coworker - it still runs like a champ at 23 yrs old! Trick was if you couldn't get it to start after the 3 rd pull you had to let it sit. Prime it and yank .... usually first pull.

The 7 hp Honda I use now is a super machine. My only regret is I didn't buy the 9 hp one. Starts on first pull EVERY TIME - no priming. Hydrostatic tranny gives me infinite speeds which is a nice feature (NO BELTS to worry about). It is heavy enough that I have to use the reverse speed to back up and can't just whip it around like I could with the smaller 5 hp Ariens.

You have to change the oil each season and check the plug and squirt some grease into the certain locations.

One big difference I notice is the Ariens does a better job at cleaning down surface better than the Honda. Blade on Honda has some hooks which it does better with icy stuff than the Ariens.

Pay attention to different grades of machines for example there are two models between the Ariens 8HP - std and pro (beefier and more $ by almost 25%)

I would go to a True Value HDWR store to buy one or specialty store just because the machines are better quality IMHO. Home Depot doesn't get the same stuff as True Value does. Go to store and compare constuction, MOTOR and thickness of metal at spots - don't believe me ............... go LOOK!

There is no such thing as TOO BIG of a snowblower IMHO. 8 HP is safe for all of our screwy New England weather. 5 hp size is OK, but that heavy snow you will be glad to be running the 8 hp. My former neightbor had a Snow King that was like 13 hp + it made my 5 hp Ariens look like a toy - one path was all it needed for the biggest snow drifts/plow piles period (he use to do an 200'+ driveway where he use to live .....LOL).

Don't skimp on cost because it is an investment that you will be using for 20+ yrs and it will save your back big time!!!

Stick w/ Honda, Ariens or Toro (I had purchased an used 5 hp one for my mother in law and even thought it was 15 yrs old it ran like the bomb).

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote