View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #28
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Well, when it rains, it becomes a monsoon!!

Ok....

1. We run a D/C, Exchange and a seperate server for the in-house records management. The $15k was to put the D/C and In-house into 1 server with some larger backup systems. I'll have to get the original quote to see what was involved/suggested but we thought it was pretty high!!!
2. Got in today and was informed the internet/email was down. Tracked and found that it appears our firewall took some sort of hit and is toast. Typing now on a seperate computer attached directly to the modem. Fantastic news!
3. We had some great figures for IT and, about 5 years ago, converted our wiring (eaten by mice) to Gigabit wiring and moved the servers to a dedicated server room. That's when we purchased all the servers and made some great updates. Since then, the only places to cut was the IT or we'd lose bodies. Pretty bad situation.
4. If you think WE have it bad, the town is even worse. They could not find their server (you read that right) for about 2 weeks. Someone finally tracked the wires back and found it in a closet. It is probably as old as me

Talked to the IT company today. They were able to get in before the firewall crashed. It was backing up some very unnecessary items and they believe it will be cut down by about 15 gig. When we install a new version of the in-house software, the vendor makes a seperate backup of the records. Apparently, there were about 4 of these redundant backups. Confirmed with them and it is unnecessary to back them up again as long as the primary information makes the tapes...which it does.

They also said it appears very little is being missed during the failed backups, namely the exchange server. Personally, I could care less if my email does not make it....less responsibility for me

I just can't believe everything is crashing down at once. We're wondering if the ice storms (previous and current) had anything to do with it all. We were on generator for 3 days and they've been changing cable & power lines ever since. We'll see. I need a break...this is ridiculous!!

Thanks again...I'll let you know what happens...if we ever get back up and running!!

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote