View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #28
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
OK You've moved to Beijing....learn Chinese....NOW.....what you've been here 2 weeks and you can't speak Chinese....LEAVE!!

Takes time, you know, to learn a new language. Doesn't happen overnight.....

Its a friggin button on a phone...and it bothers you that much. What is it changing for you....your still talking to a person in english after you hit the button.

Now if they MADE you speak a different language I can see it causing you some stress.....but please, its just a button on a phone. Its there to help people and it doesn't cost you one red cent....its a freebie kind of help.
Your challenge is predicated by the idea that I moved to Beijing on a whim. A responsible person would start learning a language as soon as they decide (or are told, in the case of business) that they are moving to a new country. I understand people actively trying to learn the language, it is definitely a difficult process. However, there are people that have been here decades and still need their kids to translate for them... give me a break. And like I said before, people working in a food service business should speak English.

Not to mention the plethora of "English as a second language" classes that are offered just about everywhere. My point was the expectation that someone from immigrates here, then the US and it's citizens are expected to acclimate themselves to the immigrant as opposed to the immigrant acclimating themselves to the US.