View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
fishbones

I think it depends on where you're at as far as salary and also how old you are and what responsibilities you have outside of work. Younger people generally are more concerned with earning, while older workers are more concerned with quality of life and benefits.

For me, quality of life is important along with being challenged at work. I left my last job for a better position with much more responsibility. I was already at a pretty decent wage. I only received a small increase in salary and no opportunity for bonus, but the benefits were better and I made out in the end. I also got a much better company car and some nice fringe benefits.

I now have a very flexible schedule which allows me to drop off and pick up my son at preschool a couple of days per week and I'm home in time to eat dinner with my wife and son. I also can take off early when I want to head down the Cape to fish with my dad. To me, those things are important.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote