View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #175
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, Live in CT., but my heart is in SoCo!
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
Well, **** it.

Read the whole thing from P. 1 so it looks like I won't be the Lone Ranger anyway -

I turned 60 a little over a month ago and never really thought I'd see it honestly - my dad died at 59 from the form of lung cancer most often attributed to cigarette smoking.

From the day he was diagnosed to the day he died was exactly 10 weeks. It still makes me well up - gotta tell ya that I still miss him every day.

So at 60 I figure that I've been a smoker since I was 15 or so - that makes 45 years.

Let's see how I do - I'm gonna try to wean myself off, I was actually in a research group when the patches 1st came out and it killed maybe 75% of the desire -

If I start today, I'll make my goal 1 cig an hour - that'll cut me by 60% just as a start and I'll work my way down from there.

My wife wants to quit too - she's done it cold turkey - - once but fell off - that way if we both do it will mean support at home and support at S-B too -

Okay...here goes...

Hi, my name is Crafty -

I have a problem...
You're in the right place. It's one helping the other. Because we can't do it alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Just checking in...

45 Days without a smoke....woo hoo...
I am down to 5 pcs of nicorette gum per day and am a bit ahead of the schedule the gum program laid out for me. Just like Freak I am chewing other sugar free gum as well and have gum wrappers in my pockets and laundry and where the butts used to be. The car is even starting to smell good when I get in!

I tried dieting and am struggling with that...doing ok but still getting late night urges to snack. I made a decision a week ago and went out a joined a local gym where some friends work out. I started and although it has been hard to make the time, I am doign it.

I do have to respectfully disagree with Tagger. Quitting smoking will be the second most important thing I have done for myself. With a little luck on March 11 I will celebrate 14 years "clean". My longer friends on this board know I had a very bad life involving nothing but multiple trips to detox, court rooms and all the classic signs of substance abuse as a young adult. I still regularly attend NA meetings and do a lot of volunteer work in that area of my life.

Good luck to all and I look forward to the day I can peddle the canal and not run out of breath!!!!!!
Hi Patrick
Congratulations on your 14 yrs. I have 12 myself, sober.
And this cigarette thing is an addiction, and as you know, when one addiction is removed, something has to fill in that void, otherwise it will come back. I think that's where some fail. Something positive has to go in it's place.
The difficult part is quenching the desire. That snack thing or junk food thing is just a substitution, and over time, can get out of hand as well. The snack thing is not a positive substitution, one can say it is fundamentally evil, because it puts someone in a sad or unhappy state from putting on weight.
Wisdom is the key, and filling the body and mind with everything that is good. Good food, good snacks such as fruits, and exercising.
Dwelling on the accomplishments that have been attained helps me keep a positive attitude.
Easy does it, everyone.

Be encouraging, not discouraging

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
jimmy z is offline   Reply With Quote