View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
steelhead

slabsider profiles, etc.

Tried making a few more bait profiles this week, a couple slabsiders and another small swimmer.

The swimmer on top is about 3.5" long. It pivots nicely at the head of the bait, but it wants to drift to the right a bit when it's being retrieved. Needs some tuning... The middle one is made of 3/8" stock, 6" long and a strong 1 1/8" tall. I put a few small splitshot along it's belly to make it sit so that the back of the bait just breaks the water's surface. It has a small rounded lip. It swam with a nice tight wiggle several feet down. I think it's going to make a great herring/smelt bait. The third one a fatter slab sider, 5/8" stock, 6 1/2" long and 1 5/8" tall, no belly weights with 4/0 VMC 4X hooks. I put a larger/wider rounded lip on it. It sat taller in the water, slightly tail down. Now I know what a nice wobble/roll looks like! It has pogie written all over it! It swims with an incredilbe wake and can be teased to swim slightly sub-surface. I'm torn as to whether to put a few split shot in it's belly up toward the nose to level it out and to get it to swim a bit deeper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dudesandswimmer.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	33399   Click image for larger version

Name:	stubbydudefront.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	33400   Click image for larger version

Name:	swimmerfront.JPG
Views:	232