Thread: MF-
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #23
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Off color is a generic term to represent a joke or statement that would be generally considered potentially offensive. I think most would agree that she was pushing the envelope.

Skykes wasn't joking about 9/11, she was joking about Rush Limbaugh. This is about irony and the audience is sophisticated enough to get it.

You're playing it like she was insulting the victims, which exactly the opposite of what she was actually saying.

-spence
I'm not playing it like she was insulting the victims. I'm just pointing out that that event brings up painful memories for many people.
You're playing it like it's ok to make a joke at someones expense using a tragic event as a vehicle to deliver the zinger. It would be like me saying Bill Clinton would have been the guy responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing, but his pickup truck ran out of gas in the McDonalds drive thru that morning.

If you've read my other posts, I generally like Sykes brand of humor. I think she's edgy and witty and I'm not someone who's easily offended by racy comics. In this case, it seemed like she was ad-libbing based on the way she threw the comment out there. Still, that doesn't make it acceptable.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio