View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
JohnnyD

I agree with you Cool Beans. Bush, Clinton, Bush and now Obama have all put a number of policies in place that won't come to fruition until after they leave. Many of the situations could have been handled within the time frame of their term depending on when the policy was issued (early in the term as opposed to late in their term).

However, I think it would be tough to press the MPG regulations much sooner than 2016 because of the R&D that needs to take place. Let's not forget that the automotive industry is getting raped at the moment. This policy will put additional pressure on the companies to develop new technologies.

My opinion is that more car companies need to move over to diesel engines. Have PR campaigns that dissolve many of the current stigmas about diesel and "how dirty it is", as current diesel engines used in cars are more efficient, more powerful and about as clean as gasoline engines.

Hell, I average 30-31MPG in my car, 35MPG if I make a round-trip drive to Truro. I also go about 75MPH on the highway and accelerate quickly, so I could be doing even better. But my car is Japanese - we'll see if the American companies can pull it off.