View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
A purely capitalistic approach is what has brought us to the insane costs of health care that currently exist.

I would be curious though at how effective the Canadian and UK health care systems are.
Johhny,
A huge part of the crazy cost of healthcare is malpractice insurance for doctors. These costs have to be passed on to patients by doctors and hospitals. I know you work or worked in the medical field, so you must have some knowledge about this. Many of the best doctors coming out of medical schools now go into research because it's almost financially impossible to go into private practice and make a living while paying off student loans. That's why you see so many doctors trained outside of the US practicing medicine here.

I'm not sure about Europe, but many Canadians who need major surgeries come to the US because the Canadian healthcare system is not on par with what we have here. Also, the waits in emergency rooms in Canada make the emergency room waits in the US seem like they go by in the blink of an eye.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio