Thread: brown shark
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
RoyL

I love them things, Best fight we get from the from the surf in our waters. They start to show up in June and hang around until oct, but mid summer is peak for them. From the data i've gotten over the last 20 years of targeting them and tagging, most of our big fish seem to be males it seems as most big females stay south in there spawning grounds. They do school up, so usually if theres one theres a couple. They have some good size chomppers and can give a nasty bite if you let them. They have been know to attack and if im correct they are #16 on the shark attack list, but honestly I bet they got there cause of feeding on people durring WWII like some other sharks. Not that they wouldnt bite someone who was swimming with a bass tied off to them by mistake lol. They are very powerfull and some of the bigger fish can peel off three, four hundred yards of line in no time. Nice bulldog strenght to them, but can be handled on most surf gear. Not sure if the law passed this Feburary which would protect them in all waters making it illegal to even target as a species, but I'll get back to you guys about that as soon as I know. These sharks have big fins and are tasty so there hunted greatly for shak fin soup. Last year was a tuff year and I only managed 8 fish in about 20 trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6424.JPG (45.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6685.JPG (62.9 KB, 40 views)

offthehookfishing.com
RoyL is offline   Reply With Quote