View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
JohnnyD

Swimmer,

Thanks for clearing that up. Some of what you said, I knew, but didn't know there was Case Law in place that went both ways in terms of if the Plaintiff shows up somewhere the defendant has to leaves. I tried to do some googling but the MA websites didn't show much clarity.

The reason I thought there was a violation if the plaintiff was following the defendant around was because a co-worker of mine broke up with his girlfriend and she somehow got a restraining order placed on him. Then she proceeded to follow him wherever he went to try to get him nailed in violation. He was able to prove that she was following him around and the judge tossed out her restraining order.

Working as an EMT when I was younger, I've seen many situations where restraining orders can help in protecting people and are a necessary tool, but I've heard of a lot of cases where a person got the RO merely out of spite. Then, they think they have this halo of power around them and are able to use that to completely screw over the other person.

I read about a situation where a guy couldn't pick up his daughter from school any more because the woman with a RO on him (and with no relation to the daughter and no kids), would stand outside the school.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote