View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Stroth

Fastest Method for Sealing a Plug

Been awhile since I have posted on SB, but I am still lurking here constantly!

I needed to upgrade my wooden plug aresnal for a trip I have coming up with my family to Martha's Vineyard. Long story short, I could not pass up some of Salty's kits. If am going to drop a couple hundred bucks on plugs, I might as well come away with 16 as opposed to 8 right?

Anyway I need to get these done quickly as the trip is fast approaching. What is the fastest most effective way to seal them? Here are my options as I have searched and read on this forum and others:

1. 60% Boiled Linsed Oil / 40% Mineral Spirits mix: Issues here for me here is the drying time. How long really is it?

2. Epoxy: Read some extensive posts about guys using etex lite and sealing everything that way. Seems a bit expensive for me and pretty time consuming. Baking the plugs, brushing on epoxy, cleaning space for thru - wire etc. But if it is a quick dry time for a bullet proof finish I could suck it up and do it.

3. BIN Primer / Sealer: Couldn't I just dunk the wood in this a couple of times over 2 days or so and have it act as an all in one sealer / primer? This seems to easy...

4. Minwax Wood Hardener: This looks to be like a fast method, but I am worried about paint adhesion? Should I be?

These are going to be very simple functional plugs in your basic fish catching colors: Black, White, & Yellow. Absolutely nothing fancy & hopefully I do not screw them up so bad they cannot be fished.

I know some of you have the answer for me & I greatly appreciate any insight you can give.

Tightlines,

Stroth
Stroth is offline   Reply With Quote