View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Cool Beans

Tough industry, I ran a body shop in Burley Idaho back in 1988 and checking around, now, the pay is not a whole lot better than it was then. Americans used to fix their cars and wanted it done right, now it's the cheapest they can get by with. Or if the insurance company totals the car, just about any crash in an aluminum foil car results in the insurance company totaling the vehicle, then they get something new or a used one similar age. I remember rebuilding starters and alternators, but now you throw em away and buy an new one ( I don't think you can buy the parts anymore). Same as auto body, I spent a long time to become a good metal finisher, but now, it's either slapped full of bondo, or the fender is replaced. I left the industry in 1989 and joined the navy.... Eventually paid off and now I'm in the IT field working for the navy as a Blackberry Customer Service Rep in Newport.

And about the ilegal comment, Earl Shibe and Maco have always used them to scotch brite (pretend to sand) the cars and mask em off. Only guy there getting paid squat is the guy shooting the paint.

Good luck, also one possibility is do like I did and sideline in custom jobs. Always make good money specializing in Hot Rods..... Painted 5 for car shows back then and made more than I made at the shop all year.....

Last edited by Cool Beans; 07-22-2009 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: damn I cant spell for chit
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote