View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #78
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
It would be ignorant for me to try to say I coined the term "modern-day imperialism". Now-a-days, you can google almost any collection of random words and find some response. My intention was, when have you heard anyone reference the term modern-day imperialism when talking about Iraq. I have not heard it referenced that way before.

But, in replying to your "intention", I was pointing out that your exact phrase HAS been used in the EXACT way that you use it in talking about Iraq.

But, if you want to nit-pick three words to spin away from what the actual point is, I commend you on trying to think it would work.

But your EXACT point (question) to which I replied was "when exactly has any comment referencing a phrase like modern day imperialism ever been mentioned?"

Regardless of your poor attempt to take a fine-toothed comb to my words and pick them apart, I still stand that Bush's approach to Iraq and all his "Spreading Democracy" references are Imperialistic.
Good for you! And you have a host of leftists, some FAR left (which is OK--just mentioning it for clarity) who agree with you, using the EXACT phrase "modern day imperialism" to express their views on Bush's Iraq policy. And, unless there is some fine distinction between their definition and yours, you are still contradicting yourself when you say our relation with Taiwan is the way to spread democracy, since the predominent, current use of the phrase "modern day imperialism" defines our relation to Taiwan. Of course, you may have invented a specific, special use of the phrase that only applies to special instances of your choice. That, of course, by definition, is unarguable.

Last edited by detbuch; 09-08-2009 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: typos