Thread: Job Opening
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
That's exactly why Obama has so many Czars. They don't have to be approved or confirmed like cabinet members. I'm sure if you looked into the backgrounds of a lot of his Czar cronies, you'd find things that would prevent them from being confirmed by even liberal members of the Senate.
Eh. Bush had over 30 different czars during his time in office, none of which were official vetted.

This isn't a brand new thing in the executive branch. This czar business developed during the early years of the Bush administration. The Republican Congress changed the regulations for presidential advisers, giving person advisers to the president "executive privilege" (Cheney's favorite buzz-phrase) and not being required to have background checks or be approved.

Entertainingly, Glenn Beck (who's started a lot of the yelling about czars) states that George Bush had 4 czars and Obama has "16 and counting." "Fair and Balanced" my ass.

A bigger concern for me is Obama appointing a former UAW member as Manufacturing Czar. I believe the UAW to be a figurative bucket of concrete in which the automotive companies feet were cemented into before they went overboard.