Thread: Job Opening
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Stop just making stuff up. First off, Bush was not nearly the first President to have Czars. They've been around for about 30 years. Don't you remember Reagan making a big splash with the appointment of the Drug Czar many years ago?

Second, Bush had 30 over 8 years. He did not have 30 at all times during his tenure in office. Many were for specific, topical issues and were not long term. The total number of people in the positions was higher, as there was turnover during the 8 years.

Obama's been in office for 8 months and he already has 28, not 16.

Herb Allison - TARP Czar
Alan Bersin - Border Czar
Dennis Blair - Intelligence Czar
John Brennan - Terrorism Czar
Carol Browner - Energy Czar
Adolfo Carrion, Jr - Urban Affairs Czar
Ashton Carter - Weapons Czar
Aneesh Chopra - Technology Czar
Jeffrey Crowley - AIDS Czar
Cameron Davis - Great Lakes Czar
Nancy-Ann DeParle - Health Czar
Earl Devaney - Stimulus Accountability Czar
Joshua DuBois - Faith-based Czar
Kenneth Feinberg - Pay Czar
Danny Fried -Guantanamo Closure Czar
J. Scott Gration - Sudan Czar
Richard Holbrooke - Afghanistan Czar
John Holdren - Science Czar
(OPEN) - Green Jobs Czar
Gil Kerlikowske Drug Czar
Vivek Kundra - Information Czar
George Mitchell - Mideast Peace Czar
Ed Montgomery - Car Czar
Dennis Ross - Mideast Policy Czar
Gary Samore - WMD Czar
Todd Stern - Climate Czar
Cass Sunstein - Regulatory Czar
Paul Volcker - Economic Czar

Are you comfortable with Obama's other choice's besides Van Jones? How much do you know about these people? No need to answer with any facts, just use more Glen Beck stuff.
What exactly did I make up? I never said Bush was the first person to have czars. I said it developed under him. Reagan's Drug Czar was his *only* czar. For example, Previous Presidential Czars:
Reagan: 1
George H. W. Bush: 2
Clinton: 6
George W. Bush: 35
Obama: 32

From 6 under Clinton to 35 under Bush demonstrates some development in the Czar positions. All of which is attributed to the change by Congress in the Congressional vetting process not being required. Czars are also exempt from FBI background checks, even though all Czars can be informed on any Top Secrets of the US.

Taking a second look, the Beck post was dated a couple months ago (my oversight), but doesn't change him stating (rather, lying) that Bush had 4 czars and Obama has 16 (and counting) in order to push his "Fair and Balanced" position.

I'm not comfortable at all with the Czar position. Wasn't under Bush, still am not under Obama. There should be background checks and a vetting process for anyone working at that level of our government. Still doesn't change that this isn't some new thing made up by Obama, as is being fabricated by the Right.

**Edit** One additional thing, looking at the list you posted, many items on that list would fall under what you dubbed "specific, topical issues." Guantanamo, TARP, Great Lakes, Stimulus Accountability, Afghanistan.