View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
Most will agree that the larger cities vote democrat. Most will agree there are a lot of problems in the inner city, yet democrats are still voted in year after year. What do you think the reason for this is? It brings to mind a case of a councilwoman in Dorchester, who got caught taking bribes. When they interviewed people on the street in Dorchester, they said they would vote for her again, and she was just caught doing what everybody else does anyways.
Cities statistically have a higher density of people on government support. Democrats are more apt to expand welfare. Thus, they vote for the people who provide their freeloader checks.

Just as one reason wealthier people vote Republican is to keep more of their earned money in their pocket, inner city voters vote Democratic to get handed money to put in their pocket.

The Dorchester councilwoman is a different case (in my opinion). Dorchester is a battle ground - high drug dealing, high gang activity, people "doing want we need to do to get by". They perceive it as her doing what everyone else in Dorchester is already doing. I remember when it happened, there was a person on the 7 o'clock news that said (paraphrased) "She deserved to have that money."

When I worked for Fallon Ambulance, Dorchester was one of our major coverage areas. Many of the people in Dorchester live by a different ruleset than the rest of society. If you drive down BlueHills Ave in the middle of a weekday, you'd think it was a Sunday afternoon with the number of people sitting outside their houses hanging out just waiting to collect their weekly handouts.