Thread: restoring rods
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I've never tried to restore a rod leaving the original threads and wraps. My guess is that if it's a varnish finish that the colors in the threads can not be recovered due to years of sun damage. With sun damage, the color is simply gone. However, if you have a small area that has no varnish on it, you could put a light coat of flex coat on it and see what it looks like after it dries. That would at least tell you whether the original wraps are worth restoring.

I don't know what shape the threads and wraps are in and that would be necessary to know to determine whether a light solvent could be used to remove the varnish. Again, if there's a "safe" area you could try a small spot. If the varnish could be safely removed, I see no reason why flex-coat couldn't be applied.

The unwrapped part of the blank can be VERY lightly sanded and then cleaned with rubbing alcohol. I like to flex coat the entire blank on old sun-damaged rods to restore a bit of shine to them.

They do make two-piece reel seats but both pieces are "complete tubes" (which is not what I think you want which is something that can be attached to the blank without removing the guides).

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote