Thread: Less plug loss?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
stripermaineiac

a couple things I've learned with it. is't the type of reel makes a diff. Penn older reels like 6500,5500 and 7500 plus all the 650 an so on don't like braid. the secret with them is don't let bail close on its own. Check the line ist then trip by hand. If you get a wind knot try to clear the ist one. If you get another there cut it out as that is probably where the line needs to be in the ist place. Most of the higher end reels that are newer will work pretty good as braid is what they are designed for. the Shimano Stelle,sustain,Stradic and Speros all work very well with braid but again if you get a wind knot then you may need to cut it there. Most Braids don't need swivels as the twist seems to help the line stay tight on the spool due to them having no memory.I use Power pro,Fireline and the new symitar which is a long way from the Pink ande I use when fishing the bad rocks. the better the reel you use the fewer problems. Cheap well you get what you pay for. Don't expect Braid to be the same as Mono. Puttin swivels in your plugs may not solve a problem that can be fixed by using the lb test braid best suited for the type of fishing.I use 20lb power pro on a Stradic 5000 with 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz plugs 0n 7 to 8 ft rods and never get a single knot. on 10 an 11 ft rods it's 40 or 50lb braid on Penn 750's and stradic or sustain 8000 with 2 to 4 oz plugs and jigs and never get knots even when casting right into the wind. the key is watching my line and never reeling in till I make sure the line is tight to the spool before closing the Bail.Hope this helps a bit. PS carefull on the conventionals .Stacked line is a killer. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote