Thread: It begins...
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Joe ... that Perch type pattern ,, the lighter green with the darker vertical lines ... You free handing those vertical lines .. ? Love that look ..
I made several stencils, the original from foil and tape, once i found a pattern that I liked, I tranfered each one onto semi ridgid plastic, the kind you find in the packaging from kids toys ( a trick I saw posted by Salty Booger) I then cut the patterns with a razor knife , I made the stencils into tubes, each tube is taped at the bottom and tapered slightly aft so they fit a variaty of plugs, before you tape the tube shut be sure to sand any rough edges on the inside of the stencil..or it will scratch the plug...(dont ask me how I figured that out)...once finished, the tube will be slightly oval and tapered, to align my plug properly i turn the screw hook that I use in my painting and curing ( after sealing) down to align the hook hanger holes, I squeeze the stencil and insert the plug, for depth, I made the stencil so I align the middle of the eye sockets witht he edge of the stencil... when I release the "squeeze" on the stencil, it grips the plug firmly, a 1/8 rod/wire is inserted in the tail hole and 1 or 2 small clamps can be used to take up any excess slack if the tail end is loose and not fitting fairly snug on the body of the plug, at that point the screw eye is turned 90 degrees and I set the plug on a pair of V blocks that I use for opainting, whole process only takes a few seconds , a light coat of the desired paint is dusted onto the plug/stencil, a little practice allows you to learn how much of the spray pattern to keep allow to hit the plug and give a good fade.. allow the paint ot dry for about 30 seconds ( depends on type of paint and thickness of coating)... I think I have some pictures on my home PC... after the stencil is removed, I then place the plug in the scale machine and apply my scale over the stripes...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote