View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Eric Roach
Big E

I taped some guides on a SSU 1321MH and a GSB 1321M this past spring and brought them out to a measured field for test-casting. I used a 4 oz bank sinker.

The performance was close, but I decided to build another 1321M for myself. The main reason I chose the GSB is because I was told by an experienced builder in southern Mass that he's seen several 1321MHs break at the canal. He broke one himself on the cast (he's an exceptionally powerful caster) and was apalled to see how thin the blank wall was.

I returned the 1321MH to my local shop and got the cheaper, more reliable GSB. It's a workhorse and has what many might say a deserved reputation as the do-it-all striper/bluefish plugging rod. It effectively throws a 4" Slug-Go with a 3/8 oz jig head up to (and over) 4.25 oz.

I did end up with a 1321MH blank this fall, and I'm building it for my father this winter. I think it will be good for him as he fishes less rough water than I occasionally do.

Back to your original question, though: 4.5 oz? I'd trust the 1321M more than the 1321MH. IMO You are near (if not at) the end of the GSB's functional lure range at that weight (by "functional", I mean really being able to lean into your cast).

I'm wondering what other opinions you might get here.

Good luck,

Eric
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote