View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
stripermaineiac

dannyplug1, I'm a custom rod builder and a very hardcore striperfisherman. Bad mix as far as rods go as I'm always trying to get a better feeling rod.I have all the lami's in the 9ft 10 ft an 11 ft lengths an several of each built a bit different with various types of guides to be used in very specific areas ie the cannal,the Maine rock piles,marthas Vineyard,Rhody and so onThe 120 5 is a sweet canal rod that you can throw up to 5 oz plugs with the right guide an reel combo. The GSB an Arra both work well and give a good range of flexability from jigs down to 1 1/2 oz plugs. 2 to 3 oz is the sweet spot.stay away from the 2 peice arras as there is a problem with the furrels. They fail way too often.The SSU is a comfortable rod. A little lighter feel but holds up well. I spent a summer trying to break one and went to 6 oz jigs with 50lb braid and hardloy BSVLG guides and couldn't break it so I wrapped one with the new appogy guides. sweet rod and good casting range for the 2 1/2 to 4 oz stuff,I love the Arra 132 2 for the Bell road area and the open rips like wasque on the vineyard using 4 oz jig n pig combo and 3 oz darters. real sweet using large pencils and needles.The longer rod is great in the rock piles as it helps keep the line out of the rocks but has it's limmits in the canal due to limited back cast room .
be carefull of the very expensive blanks with very high modulus fiber count as they aren't as tough as the GSB. Next would be the SSU then the ARRA as far as durability.Carefull where you try to save money on a good rod. Put your money in hardware ist then frills if you can afford. If someone trys to sell you a rod with out underwraps under the guides as this will protect the blank from heavy use.The new appogy /concept guides work sweet an are worh the money. Hardaloy holds up well . silicon carbide also work good with braid.if your gonna use mono stick with the hardaloy ie VSBLG guides. Hope this helps Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote