View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Here's an interesting chart with some data about how many jobs have been lost and the years those losses occurred.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

I'll let the vultures form their own opinions.
I'm not sure if you'd consider me a "vulture" since this isn't opinion, but fact. Job losses aren't really a good indicator about how the employment situation in the country is. You need to look at the unemployment rate along with the total number of discouraged workers and the total number of workers who are underemployed. Once companies go through massive layoffs, there aren't as many jobs that can be lost, so job losses naturally are going to decrease. To use an analogy you are familiar with, think about the striped bass fishery. If stocks are decreased by overfishing, there will be fewer fish to kill so the numbers reported will be fewer. Just because there are fewer fish reported as being killed doesn't mean things are better for the striper stocks. Ultimately, if you break down the stats, the only area of growth in the last 13 months has been government jobs.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio