View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripermaineiac View Post
From my own experience with Atom P-40,dannys, Jr's,Darters and some oddball lures I've had a great many hook-ups on the tail hooks,both hooks and the center hooks. More times than not on the center but many times just one hook or the other.Included was a 53lb 11 oz on the tail hook of a large Danny and a 51lb 6oz on an Atom Jr on the tail hook and center hook ,which pulled as the fish rolled in the last wave and only the tail hook held. I would have never landed either fish without the tail hooks being in place.
While the fish you and many others have landed with tail hooks stand as solid, anectdotal evidence, I believe many times the tail hook helps create a fulcrum by which the forward hooks eventually fail.

I, too, have landed many fish on the tail hook. I think what happens often times is the fish are hooked on the forward hooks and the tail hook swings around and becomes attached during battle and acts almost like a very small gaf. As the battle ensues, the "gaf" imbeds itself deeper and the smaller, weaker trebles sometimes become dislodged and eventually fall out or open up.

Veteran plug builders have advised me to spread the belly hooks as far as possible to prevent "arguments" between the sets of hooks.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote