View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
Show me what hey feed on is still there and the water temp has not shifted there like every were else??? Oh and dogfish are not there. There is more in the ocean to worry about then just hammering the commercial guys... Enviromental/ predadition/ competition for food... But hey what do I know, right?
Very valid points islander. however, just because there are other negative impacts doesn't mean every other impact should go unchecked.
So there are a lot less herring, so a lot less food for cod, tuna etc... there are too many dogfish.... climate change, natural or anthropogenic has had an impact (it probably has already) so every boat should keep doing it's thing?

Spence asked a rare valid question: WHAT IS THE alternative solution.
1. Show me the science that stocks are recovering. Maybe the target for recovery is too high, but that's a separate issue
2. If they are 'recovered' what should be allowed, Status Quo?
3. So the economy is in the crapper, is there ever a good time to cut back and make more repos and foreclosures? Should they offer a buy out?

Search my posts here, especially regarding menhaden and you will find I have a long, non-anti commercial track record. but, seriously, offer an alternative, besides a rant that 'OBAMA' - NOAA/NMFS is screwing everyone twice till Sunday.

If I had my way, we'd go back to a lot of rod/reel, fish pots etc and limit dragging to certain areas and certain species. Sustainable fisheries. I realize dragging is an effective way of catching fish, but by catch is huge, and you can deny all you want, but the negative impact to the bottom, especially in cobble-gravel areas is significant.

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 04-05-2010 at 05:22 AM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"