View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
Spence, RIrock, And JohnyD...
My rant about the failure we have as presidentis more aimed towards the facts that he allowed this to happen. Now as far as show you proof ask NOAA/NMFS to get out observer reports for the last 5 years that are sitting in closets and storerooms ignored.. or shredded... The cod/ haddock argument.. Talk to the ones who DROPPED teh legal size so draggers could waste the biomass... I think its a little funny that we have the person we do in the head seat of noaa... She WAS appointed by Obama... Is there ever a good time to make repos/ foreclosures.. Obviously not but when some one throws money at GMC, Banks and yet tells the FISHING industry, that " If we want a buyback/ buyout program, IT HAS TO BE INDUSTRY FUNDED.." So the ones who decide to stay in for whatever reason have to pay for it for their lives??? As I have said I am all about conservaion not devastation. If left alone they collapse, buy what? The thought that some of us are over fishing is in a nut shell REDONKULOUS... We cant keep what we catch??? How in the world is the USA reliant on other countries for seafood??? YES 80% of the seafood in this country is IMPORTED So if we are overfishing why is that??? Thesystem needs to change.. Alternatives give people their FAIR share of a quota end of story.. OH and if you think NMFS/NOAA will " Be able to change regulations quickly if needed..." I got some great ocean front property for you in AZ....
The bottom line I get out of this, is that left unchecked, if you were allowed to keep what you caught (within reason) there would be no problem with overfishing and the industry would be fine?

I would have to say 'redonkulous' on that one. Many species certainly are overfished, and blame is on both the managers and fisherman on that one. There is a long history of going further and further in fisheries through time. If catches were sustainable, the same grounds would be viable ad nauseum. This is not the case, and has not been the case for a hundred years or more. Should we go the route of Canadian Cod fisherman, and ignore the problem until the stocks have collapsed, perhaps beyond repair?

I would prefer smaller fleets with smaller boats, who can better target a species and reduce by-catch. If that means rod-reel, pots, traps etc.., then more power to it!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"