View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Not what I saw at all Spence. Keep in mind I never once voted for Bush. Remember the viscous attacks before he got elected (Florida for example?), the general attacks along the way with a brief respite after 9/11?
There's always a fringe that will dog the opponent, but the Liberal fringe is really quite small. I don't remember a mainstream disdain for Bush for his first year though...

Quote:
I see this on both sides but I also see the media pushing significant bias helping to fuel this. I was watching Chris Matthews for a while tonight and watched him rallying the troops against the "Teabaggers". First for sending in death threats to a WA Senator in which Matthews states the "teabagger" leaving the phone message says this and that and then he continues the piece with Pete Williams and cuts off Pete Williams when ole Pete states it was confirmed that the man issuing the threats was not a "republican", a member of the Tea Bag party. He cut off Williams when ole Pete started squashing his rant.

Then Matthews had a video segment with "racial hate speech" on a congresswoman at some town hall meeting - I heard no racial speech in the segment - and she's cutting off a guy talking about how much programs cost. Since when does discussing how much programs COST constitute hate speech?
Mathews is out to make hay like any TV personality is. He's certainly not a Republican, but not a big liberal either. He's more like an O'Riley who thinks they are a journalist, neither are ideologues but Chris doesn't have Bill's self serving ego.

All that being said...the language and attitude towards Obama isn't like what I saw at Bush 43 at all. There's a very legitimate policy reaction, but also something underneath it all...something disturbing.

-spence