View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #51
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The GDP of our nation is the output of a very complex system. Our great wealth is a function of this system which would collapse without structure. Not everybody can be rich, and the rich have built their fortunes (directly or indirectly) on the backs of others.

Bureaucratic compassion is critical part of our economic health, and like everything, should of course be carefully measured.

I think this is more a function of the individual. The individual is responsible for how they feel about the benefits they may gain from the system. Certainly entitlements can after a period of time make people accustomed to certain behavior, but it's still up to the individual to determine how this is received.

This has nothing to do with class by the way. I'd argue that the corporate elite is just as used to handouts as some welfare recipients.

The very fact that our government has *any* Federal power is affirmation that some problems require a collective solution.

This is a misrepresentation of the facts. Even the "needy" end up contributing quite a bit under the current system.

Some elements of "normal" are certainly in flux. Although, when values are pared down to the essential elements there's very little separation between liberal and conservative ideas as practiced by the bulk of Americans.

Does it? I'd think this is more probably a function of the overall economic condition.

-spence
The title of this thread is Spence's communist manifesto

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all