Thread: Dumb
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #40
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Perhaps you're asking the wrong questions.

I passed along the info about a public statement that the boat was to be chartered, without stating from where it would be chartered as at the time I didn't have that information. But made the quite reasonable assumption that chartering a yacht from the island is quite possible.
Actually, you said it was going to be chartered for "a good part of the year". There was nothing to indicate that except for a quip about maintenace and charter purposes. Nothing about how many charters it would be used for. You were wrong to assume. Reasonable, shmeasonable.

That the boat company where the yacht is currently birthed is not going to charter the yacht isn't evidence of wrong doing as you seem to be accusing.
Also, there are Portsmouth based companies that do charter yachts like Kerry's.
Again, it was simple to find the ship yard where the yacht was berthed and make a quick phone call. The closest location that they do charters is out of Maine, and they only charter boats that are berthed there. It doesn't matter what other boats are chartered out of Portsmouth. I guess it's only wrong doing if you consider lying while making an excuse for not paying half a million dollars in taxes wrong doing.

You still haven't provided anything that supports the accusation and demonstrates intent or awareness of wrongdoing.
The fact that it was discovered that the boat had been kept in Massachsetts waters within the 6 month time frame for paying taxes on it seems to me that there was some wrong doing. Oh, and the fact that once the story broke, Kerry was quick to say that he was going to pay what he owed to the state also indicates that he's only paying because he was caught.

Keep trying.
"Keep trying." Now that's just cute.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio