View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #27
Saltheart

Narragansett can be very good sometimes. I believe its related to the freshness of the beer and how its been handled.

It yhas a true lager taste . many lagers do not. Many cannot be distinguished from ales. This of course is do to the yeast strain and how the yeast cultures are maintained to prevent contamination and how the temperature of the beer is controlled during the fermentation process. Absolute temperature is important to a degree but the ability to maintain a constant temperature is also very important.

So if you get some fresh gansett that has not been left on the #^&#^&#^&#^& and heated then into the cooler then in the trunk of a car for two hours then in the fridge etc, it can have a nice crisp lager taste.

it was always rumored that it had higher alchohol content than most premium beers when it was brewed in Cranston. I don't know if that is true or not.

What I can say for sure is that my great grandfather , my grandfather , my father and all his brothers drank Gansett. Of course they drank it while watching the Red Sox. Gansett was as much a part of Rhode Island life as quohogs , Rocky point , Salt Brine and Coffee Cabinets.

As far as a revival of the brand goes , it will be interesting to see. Guys like me in my fifties will remember it as a good product. Younger guys who oinly got the stuff after Cranston closed down will have a negative viewpoint to overcome.

Unlike many beers that should be consumed cool, Gansett is best ice cold IMO.

Everybody remembers the wallet friendly GIQ's but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Green Death , Hoffenreffer Malt Liquor. That was good stuff and perhaps an even cheaper route to a good buzz than the GIQ's.

So anyway , i have a soft spot in my heart for Gansett and would definitely like to see some beer marketed under that name , even if it wasn't exactly like the original stuff , as long as it was good.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote