View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #350
2na

Raven, I do get the suet out too. 2 springs ago I kept every yellow rumped warbler in Truro fed til the bugs showed up. I would have a dozen sitting around it taking turns - never saw one before or since. I use the sparrow crop as a gauge as when to stop. I think the birds have to be given a chance to learn to feed on their own, but if they make it through winter I like to give them an energy boost until other food shows.

Yeah Johnny, those bags work perfect for the suet. They'll get crappy after a while, let me know if you want any more - I find enough of them on the beach.

Paul, I put a scrap of ply on a couple of sawhorses in the middle of the feeding grounds and throw seed on that too. I have 2 seed feeders and a bag of suet within 15’; I'll sit in the middle. The birds are accustomed to me so they barely spook. Mucho relaxing. The chickadees, pine warblers and red-breasted nuthatches will land within arms reach. I've wanted to try to hand feed them, but I think that would take too much time to get them to do it.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote