View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #417
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I have gone to squirrel proof feeders about 15 years ago. The squirrels will eat right thru a wooden one. I like the feeders that are spring loaded, although a little pricey they are worth it in the long run. Too much weight on perch they close. Luv watching the squirrels try and figure it out. They give up eventually. The darn sparrows are worse then squirrels though. They take up house on the perch and never leave till they are full. PIA.

On a side note take some time to check out your feeders at nite. I will bet you have flying squirrels but just never knew it. I got video of them, 4, feeding. Pretty cool. Since the neighbor stripped mined their yard of a lot of trees they don't seem as frequent anymore. If you have a lot of trees and close to the feeders you got them I'll bet. It is really cool to see them swoop down from high above. They are so friggin fast up a tree and they have gigantic eyes. They are in and out of the feeder lightning fast so you have to watch closely. I have a spot light on the feeder and they don't seem to mind it. I have had up to 8 at a time feeding in years past. Drain the feeder fast though with them at nite and birds in day. Stupid Cat killed one and bought it in house one nite. It was neat to examine it up close though. Real small and light weight.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote