Thread: Data Recovery
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
STREETFIGHT

I'll try to keep this short- my wife is a photog. She had an external hard drive go ka-put a couple years ago after a power surge. The manufacturer (western digital i think??) recomended a data recovery place on the left coast so she calls them. They tell her it will be at least 300-700 buc's but might be more and that she needs to send it out to them to evaluate it. Once they get it the quote turns into 4,500 buc's- she was in tears. I told her to do what she had to do because even the pictures she's taken of our kids over a bunch of years were on it- she decided she couldn't bring her self to spend the money. She asked them to send it back (keeping in mind they could have "finished it #^&#^&#^&#^& before doing so to make sure no one else could get the data back- it really felt like they had it hostage at that point) a couple days later they call back and say they could do it for 3,000 buc's- wtf? She still wont budge but now she's pissed so a couple more weeks go by. She asks them again to send it back- this time they say they can do it for 2'200 buc's. At that point she and i were both pretty hot but i made her tell them to go ahead and do it just to put an end to it. They did recover 100%. It really was a huge pile of crap the way they went about it- it was extortion imo. They try to guage the value of the info and once they have it in house they hold you over the fire for whatever they can squeeze out of you. In our case holding out by her willingness to loose the photo's saved us a bunch of money. good luck!
STREETFIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote