View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #59
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Here's the Barney Frank response to this point...

I've not found a video of the testimony to assess the context, but I do know that David John is a die hard conservative in the Heritage Foundation. I'd like to see a detailed analysis of this...

-spence
Barney is full of mancustard. As one of the fiercest proponents and protectors of affordable housing, he of course has a vested interest in passing the blame.

The CRA itself was a fairly innocuous law signed by Jimmy Carter in '77. It wasn't until the Boston Federal Reserve came out with a flawed study in 1992 (late in Bush I's term) that banks were discriminating against Black people re: home loans, that it began to be enforced.

There were a slew of lawsuits that accelerated after that Fed report came out, under the auspices of the CRA.

For example, AG Reno (Clinton I) sued several banks in 1993 (First National Bank of Vicksburg and Blackpipe State Bank for racial discrimination and in 1994 sued Chevy Chase Federal Savings Bank.

Furthermore, the fed was under pressure to use CRA as a stick for banks seeking to open new branches and ATM machines and merge with other banks. For example, in 1993, the federal reserve denied an application by Shawmut to acquire New Dartmouth Bank. The transaction was only allowed to proceed after it paid a million fine to compensate minority applicants who may have been denied loans. This arrangement was squeezed out of the bank by AG Reno.

And so on (I won't list all the lawsuits and enforcement actions here).

Most people don't know this, but in 1995, at the behest of Pres Clinton, CRA regulations were revamped to give it more teeth.

Quote:
The rules became more performance-based and established clearer and more objective performance standards for determining whether a bank was in compliance with CRA standards. “The new rules went into effect January 31, 1995 and featured: strictly numerical assessments to get a satisfactory CRA rating; using federal home-loan data broken down by neighborhood, income group, and race; encouraging community groups [like ACORN – FWW] to complain when banks were not loaning enough to specified neighborhood, income group, and race; allowing community groups that marketed loans to target to groups to collect a fee from the banks (as of 2000 $9.5 billion had been paid to such nonprofit groups). The new rules, during a time when many banks were merging and needed to pass the CRA review process to do so, substantially increased the number and aggregate amount of loans to low- and moderate-income borrowers for home loans, some of which were ‘risky mortgages.’” Clinton Administration Changes of 1995
I could on and on and on ... but the enforcement of CRA, that really began in earnest with Clinton, basically bullied banks into lending to deadbeats.