View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #188
the greek

Finally got some paint and finish on some things. It's been a struggle this year to get stuff going for some reason. I do have alot of handcarved stuff that I'm starting to get finished.

These are the slim swimmers. I tried some circuit board lips in a couple also. I like the circuit board lips but don't like the fact that you lose the ability to tune them. I still have to get lips and hardware on the one I foiled but they are finished.

Got a couple more of the big ones done. I use a different gauge S/S for these lips and they are hard to cut but it gets the head sitting a bit more where I want it. I also switched to a single belly hook instead of two and think it helps them start up faster.

Really like the way the big popper turned out. I enjoyed building these. I wanted an oldschool look but didn't really want to copy something. I also want to fish these at a certain place so I built them for that purpose.

And just some odds and ends. A maverick copy that I like and have been playing around with for a long time. They don't last long because the tail is so thin and the through wire so close to the belly. If a decent fish gets both hooks they usually end up in the same place with the tail hook and wire getting ripped out. I try to counter that a bit using a very long S/S rivet for the tail grommet to get it back into the meat of the plug a bit more. I guess I'll see if that helps come spring.

Some topwater stuff. The yellow one is a handcarved swimmer I blew the nose up on drilling. Tried to save it and ended up making a popper out of it. The other is an attempt to copy the river2sea Larry Dahlberg Wide Glide. If you haven't already check out the video with him and Patrick Sebile from Sebile lures fishing for Stripers. Cool video and they are using some less than conventional tactics for bass. They are absolutely ripping the baits in at high speed instead of the more traditional slow approach. I found some video of the bait online and you can clearly see the weighting on it. I tried it and was surprised to say the least.

Nice looking stuff everone and looking forward to seeing everyone and everything at plugfest.
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote