View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Mokes

Designing lips....

Thought I would post up this question to you guys and see how some of you attack this..

I've been learning to make handcarves and I'm sending a couple out to some guys to fish. I've made a template for a lip that works, but I have a hell of a time keeping the lips the same each time I make one.

What I was wondering is when I make a lip, what should I be keeping in mind when it comes to the lip's size? Stainless is a little hard for me to get and I have a good sheet of it now, but I don't want to destroy too much testing bad ideas.

Here are my 2 latest builds and these lips are a bit shorter than what I've made before. I can't swim them due to all the ice around. How do you guys think a shorter vs longer lip will affect the swimming action, or will it?

Is there a good way to test these lips without gluing them in? I can't really think of what I can do to lodge it in there and have the lip survive the cast without falling out.

I have goopy Etex issues, I know.

Ted is really the one I've learned all this from. I notice his lips are longer than mine. I'm guessing they will dive deeper? Ted makes this look easy, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fd2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	44755   Click image for larger version

Name:	COuch2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	44756  

Last edited by Mokes; 02-22-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Mokes is offline   Reply With Quote