View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Mokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Did I mention how beautiful your work is??
Thanks Larry....coming from you, that's pretty awesome. I love your work. I was fondling some last year. Amazing how clean it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR View Post
Put a piece of tape around the part that fits in the slot, it will fit snug enough to test swim it, just toss it in the water, don't try for a world record cast and you'll be fine. The length of the lip is very important, 1/8" will make a big difference in how it swims. I always test swim with different length lips to find which works best and as Larry states width is also an issue follow his advise.
Good idea. I can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
When I build a style for the first time, I make a half dozen bodies, for lips, I start with one roughly the width of the body and go smaller , larger and longer... each plug gets a differant shape or diameter... I'll also play with the weighting at this time taping the weight in place... six bodies gives me a start... then I work from there...I make lips out of both lexan and titanium as well as stainless... titanium works gret on smaller hand carves because it adds very little weight...
Eventually, when I get brave enough, I will through-wire these so I can hang hooks easier and play with the design. Right now I just pop a 00 shot behind the belly hook eye. Seems like that area is good for a pivot point. Maybe I can test out some chin weighting to see what happens though and make some longer lips to see how far I can get them down?

I guess I should work on making sort of a test kit to take to a lake. These bodies are made from a template Ted showed us how to create, so all the bodies KIND OF come out similar. Depends on how badly I sand them, lol.

The 1/8" thing has me nervous Rock. It's too late to turn back now. I'll mail these out and take my lumps if I screwed the pooch. Maybe I'll get lucky though. I'll report back as soon as I hear.
Mokes is offline   Reply With Quote