View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
City councilors or selectmen have brought it on themselves. All they have ever done is give, give, giveinto the union. There is a city that pays an officer 500 bucks more a year for wearing their name plate.

Your Connecticut city councilors do not have the balls to fix it, they are the blame in every city. If they ever do away with the pensions they will after a while screw up the 401K. It will start out 1 to 1 and a few years later end up 6 to 1 with the 6 coming out of the tax payer.

You lose!

Do not blame the teachers, firemen, public works, all they did was ask for and your elected officials gave it to them.
I have said that I don't blame the cops for taking what is offered to them. I do blame the cops for feeling "entitled" to it, when they know damn well the hole that is being dug for everyone else. In this case of the New Haven cops, they are telling citizens that their lives are in danger because of the cuts.

You are dead-on, the politicians (which in CT, means Democrats) bear a huge portion of the blame.

And the union leadership are more or less crazy, they always turn a deaf ear to the fact that these promises are simply illogical.

"If they ever do away with the pensions they will after a while screw up the 401K"

My college roomate does desktop support at UCONN. He doesn't get a pension, he gets something like a 401(k), the state gives him a 9% match. None percent. Plus, his 3 kids will go to UCONN for free because he works there, not a bad union perk, worth $240,000 in today's dollars. And his salary isn't one cent less than what he'd command in the private sector.