View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=Fly Rod;839549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Have you ever given back a pay raise "

Never gave back a pay raise, I earned every one of them. My first raise was in 1969, my boss gave me .10 per hr. more and he made it a point when he gave me my paycheck to say, "Don't think that I made a mistake in your paycheck, I gave you ten cents more an hour."

From reading all your past post you seem like a bitter person, maybe you feel you are owed something.

"I take it you have never owned your own business. Because if an employee isn't pulling his weight, or if a business is struggling, not everyone can get a raise. If the money isn't there, you can't spend it. I guess that's too complex for you."

I owned a very successful business in the building and remodeling field, thirty five years 1972-2007, built the last new house for myself, no mortgage. Allowed me to fly fish around the country and in Canada and allowed me to have a little retreat in the Bahamas for a few years. Given out pay raises when deserved, fired people when needed. 1990ish recession, " you probably do not know anything about that," laid off all but two employees as work slowed, almost went bankrupt too, bounced back and enjoyed life once again. Gave up the business due to illness in 2007. Now I'm in a more lucrative business, real estate, with the wife but, my illness is starting to take its toll once again.

"Fly Rod, what about my post here? What do you think about a cop telling the citizens to arm themselves?"

Look at the source, a union president, all rhetoric. No cop has to tell me to arm myself, I'm armed. Tell me, when was the last time a cop prevented a rape, a bank robbery or murder? They always get there after the fact. Arm yourself. Being a Marine I would think you are armed.
Sorry, I wasn't asking you if you gave back a pay raise, I was quoting you...yuo said that in your previous post.

"you seem like a bitter person"

Perhaps. I'm tired of watching the "gimme gimme" entitlement mindset of public employees, that's for sure.

"maybe you feel you are owed something."

What, exactly, did I post, that you could possibly interpret that way? All I want is to keep a reasonable percentage of my earnings so I can provide for my kids. And I want the govt to leave us alone, not cripple us with taxes.

"Given out pay raises when deserved, fired people when needed. "

Hold on. You said, in your above post, that everyone deserves a cost-of-living increase. But you fired your emlpoyees that weren't good at their jobs! I'm saying that public employees should be held to the same standard, but they are not. How many public schoolteachers get fired for incompetence? I've literally never heard of it. Here in CT, teachers only get fired for sexual assault...never for being bad at their jobs. The union won't allow that to happen.

"Being a Marine I would think you are armed"

Nope, I've personally had my fill with guns, I hope to never hold one again... But if I took this cop's advice and armed myself, why the f**k should I continue to pay property taxes? If this cop says that he's not going to do his job, and therefore I have to do it myself, why should he continue to get paid?

I also built a few spec houses (4 to be exact), and I loved it. Even now, when I have a bad day, I'll drive by those houses, and I get a pretty good feeling when I see the kids, growing up, getting older, playing in the yards...it's nice knowing you did something tangible, I guess. It's nice knowing that families will be living in those houses, kids growing up there, long after I'm dead and gone. I wish I got into that business before the market turned white-hot, but it was not to be. I'd sure like to get back into it when that market turns around.