View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
FishermanTim

Isn't funny that people would rather pay for a "perfect" lawn, and end up paying more just to maintain it?
Yet, if they spent time actually digging in the soil, they'd see exactly what they have to work with, and what happens when to start applying chemicals.

I am a compost loving gardener. I love to show people just how much they can compast, in a relatively small space, and get beautifully rich soil as a result. (not to mention a boatload of worms and other beneficial inhabitants.)

My parents didn't want a compost pile in their yard because of the smell. Well, I asked them to let me start a compost pile (as an experiment) and I'd show them that they were misstaken.
After the pile was started, I took them out a month later, after turning just once each weekend, and let them see for themselves.
After that, I couldn't keep them from collecting kitchen waste, newspapers and even leaves in the fall. I was able to ammend 3 raised beds with the resulting compost, and was able to do it every year.

Nay to chemicals, and YEAH to compost.

Oh, and when I fillet any fish during the summer, I will use the water I use for rinsing off the finished cuts to water the gardens.
MMMmmmmm.....fish emulsion!!!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote