View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Weekend's fishing activity is to canibalize a vinyl chart plotter for parts to build a spinner box dedicated to finishing/drying plugs. I am also going to use the fan for a small spray booth with non-explosive paints.

So let's build a better mousetrap... I am requesting you post your pics of your spinners with comments about hardware, pros/cons, and how you would improve yours. Trying to keep its cost down as well...(aren't we all?) I won't be able to quite match Rockfish9's creation, with its belt driving three or four levels....
I see Bruce posted the picture of the twin towers....the bottom one was the first one I ever made, it was made from scraps... I only purchased the light bulbs... The motor was from an old oil skimmer, the gears and pulleys came from an old copy machine...3/8 threaded rod was used for the adjustment and threaded through F&M plates scrounged from work.. I used swivels from my tuna hand lines... the new one, is powered by a rotissery motor, all the belts and pulley bought from McMaster carr.. I did spend a bit of money on that one...George is right about the gear motor, pricey, but you will only buy it once...if and when either motor goes,I'll replace them with a gear motor...BTW... the first one still is going strong... i keep waiting for the copy machine belts to break, but it has not happend yet...

I like the in line spinner for ease of application, but the rotissary style make for a glass smooth finish, and is only slightly more difficult to apply while in motion... I've found that if the rotissary's are spinning towards me, it is eaiser to apply...as I apply my etex while the unit is spinning...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote