Thread: Insanity in CT
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Hey Johnny - I went to UCONN as well...

"for 9-10 months out of the year, the population goes from a few thousand people to 40,000 students."

Johnny, the population of NYC is 8 million, with God-knows-how-many visitors a day. Compare that to UCONN. NYC has more than 1000 times as many cops as does UCONN. Meaning the top cop in NYC has more than 1000 times as many employees as the top cop at UCONN. How does that suggest that UCONN's top cop earn more than NYC's top cop?

"I'm sure you're aware of what Spring Weekend is "

I am well aware. I am also aware that the top UCONN cop, with his fat 250k salary, cannot handle spring weekend alone, so they bring in lots of outside help from surrounding state police barracks.

UCONN cops write some parking tickets, and they deal with drunk teenagers. They have 1 challenging weekend per year. Cushy.

Finally, if they posted that job at $150k, they would get hundreds of applicants. That's how I know that $250k is an insane salary.
I don't disagree at all to above. Your initial post made it seem like UConn is this quaint little school in a CT farming town, when it has a population very much the opposite of that.

I do have to disagree with your reply to RRH:
Quote:
That's probably true. And that's either due to (1) the outstanding job done by the UCONN police force to reduce crime that would occur if a less effective police chief was hired, or (2) the fact that UCONN is in a rural area in the middle of nowhere, with no reason to attract significant numbers of criminals. The answer is #2.
My first year at UConn was at the peak of UConn being a "party school where you could get a good education." There were a lot of programs put in place and cooperative efforts between the school administration and the police force to cut down on crime and drugs. There was a huge push to improve the school's image after a popular magazine had an article that named UConn the #1 party school one year and the next year left UConn off the list and stated "We found it inappropriate to include a professional with this list of amateurs."

After my first year, there was a huge effort to reform places like The Jungle (North Campus dorms) by turning it into a dry dorm and dedicating a police officer to The Jungle and the Freshman dorms. A drug task force was put together and there were a significant number of drug dealers busted on campus and in the off-campus apartments - this was all internally operated. The Greek village was built to centralize fraternities/sororities into one area with a few police officers dedicated to operations there. A number of drug networks with ties to Willimantic and back to Hartford were broken up while I was there.

A number of major efforts were made to curb underage drinking. The closed down the big nightclub behind Store 24 after a handful of stings that showed they were serving minors; regular roadblock/drunk stops on Rt101; very regular raids on the bars... along with strict punishments for getting caught drinking or supplying alcohol to those under 21.

I've talked to people currently attending UConn or recently graduated and, in terms of the social scene, it is a completely different place than it was 10 years ago. Being on campus during the transition was very interesting. As a student, they were raining on our parade. As an adult, I can appreciate the effort and how much they accomplished over a short period of time.