View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Never heard the term helicopter parents before and after two referances still don't get the meaning.Sometimes the best action is no action at all.Some parents are truly f'ed up; Last week at my 6 year old sons final basketball game, the kids are warming up.At this age it consists of throwing up some shots and chasing down a loose ball for another shot attempt.Out of the corner of my eye I see a Dad from another team approach my boy to ask for the ball,which my son handed over and went to look for another. The Dad takes the ball and gives it to his kid then comes over to me to explain that his son had been using that ball to warm up with(nutjob).I told him I took no exception to his action but inside I rolled my eyes and thought to myself the poor coddled sport doesn't stand a chance and won't for as long as his father is a tool.

Nothing wrong with caring too much but choose your battles wisely.Nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself and accepting the punishment quietly.She knows you have her back and that's all that really matters.
Helicopter parent is the term used for parents hovering over their children at all times. I went to HR training a year ago and in today's world, parents are calling their kids bosses (post-college) and complaining about their reviews or lack of promotion. Its out of hand.

and they didnt just notify me - I received a written write up that said any further action by my daughter will be considered "bullying" Thats what set me off. How do you go from queitest kid in the class to be a schoolyard bully ? Somthin aint right.

in my example, name calling in the school and a few kicks is not a reason to call the principal. Thats being a kid - thats my opinion. If it was fight or harsher words (other than your ugly and your hair smells bad - what she said to my daughter) I would have a problem. We need to let kids work things out. They need to win and lose on their own. But if someone escalates this on my daughter, i wont sit idly by. Especially when it doesnt add up.

So - I just spoke with the principal. we had a good discussion and she was very happy to hear the other side of the story. She said it definitely filled in the gaps. She said my daughters teacher was suprised because she usually keeps to her self. it appears this other girl has been pursuing my daughter as a friend and my daughter wants nothing to do with her ( must be a lib ) and this girl seems to be pretty pushy. I told her Im worried this behavior will continue if they believe its resolved by speaking with my daughter. So she will speak with the other girls parents and give them the story. I told her Im not worried and have confidence , this is not a big deal. So we'll see.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote