View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Federal court found that the SELLERS are not responsible but you are - read your link

Federal court decisions have found that sellers that are not in some way physically located in a state cannot be required by that state to report sales or collect sales tax for that state, even if the purchaser is located in the state.21 The purchasers are technically required to declare these Internet purchases and pay what is called a use tax, equivalent to the general sales tax.

equivalent means same thing - so use tax, is the same as sales tax. You are required by law to pay. Dont argue with an accounting major!

And Chesapeake Bill - Al Capone went to jail for what? tax evasion! He didnt pay tax on his illegal activities. I beleieve the Fed would want it under "other income" - but you are responsibnle for paying fed taxes on illegal activity!
Did you read my Entire Post.......I did post that you had to pay a Tax.....I was just being a PITA and pointing out that it is not called a Sales Tax you are paying....its called a Use Tax....which is what you highlighted in Red.

Also pointing out that Massachusetts found a way around the Federal Interpretation of the Sales Tax.

and, C'mon, you gotta admit...you do have this Ever so slight habit of correcting things for people here...

And never argue with an Irishmen......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."