View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #590
bayviewrr

Just found this post. I am glad I am not alone. I love feeding and watching the birds. I have a feeder and two suet cages right outside my door. I also feed the squirrels with corn blocks hung from a bungee cord. It is really funny to watch the squirrels hanging off the bottom of a bouncing brick of corn.

With feeding the squirrels it was really important to get a squirrel proof feeder and yes, they actually exist. I found one that has a cage over the feeding holes that slide down from the weight of the squirrels. Works perfectly. Squirrels don't even bother to try anymore.

All winter I have had cardinals, carolina wrens, red and white breasted nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, house finches and morning doves. Things are starting to migrate now and we get a HUGE migration out here on the island. The cow birds showed up last week along with a yellow throated warbler and have had a baltimore oriel on the suet cage for the last week. I also have a pair of mallards nesting in the yard. Over the next few weeks the bird population will explode. In past years, from my property alone I have identified over 100 different species. Its a cool hobby.
bayviewrr is offline   Reply With Quote