View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #66
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Really? Blanket statement? The problem is that when we are discussing the problems of the left you call it a fringe element yet when it goes to the right, the shadow casts far and wide as clearly all Tea Baggers are birthers are Republicans are racists. All one has to do is connect the dots.

P.S. - Obama's mother is a born US citizen, what else do we need to know?
While I've called out the racist elements I think gravitate towards the Tea Party I don't believe I've ever called the entire movement racist, rather I've asserted they need to own what's spread in their name...and a lot of Tea Party leadership have promoted these and other ideas along the same vein.

Regarding the Birther movement, it seems by the polls that this has infected moderate voters to some degree. While is sure seems like a crackpot theory to me a hell of a lot of Americans have responded to the constant drumbeat by the conspiracy theorists and Right Wing media. Why? I'd go back to the fear of the "other" and hence the race card...

I'm not aware of any other tin foil hat issue gaining so much public support in recent history.

-spence