View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Saltheart

Ok how about mead?

Ever had mead? I used to make a lot of mead.

Making wine is a lot harder than making beer. Now maybe there is an easier way but my only attempt at making wine involved a kit and you have to add all kinds of tablets for ph and yeast nutrients and other stuff I have forgotten. it takes a long time in the fermenter too and then the aging. Beer is much easier.

Now you can make mead very easily. essentially you make it like beer. i have made many different varieties. The ones with acidic fruit added with the honey , such as cranberry and red Cherry come out good all the time. Citrus like grapefruit or orange can be tricky. Spiced mead , call metheglin is fairly easy. Stuff like ginger and cloves is added. Metheglin is the root word from which medicine comes from or at least that is what I have read since metheglins were considered to have medicinal value back in ancient Celtic Days.

Mead is one of the oldest of the fermented drinks. I guess the idea of adding a little honey to something that is mostly water is a natual thing to do to add a little sweetness. well if you water down some honey and just leave it hanging around , it will eventually ferment and then you have alchohol! Its a natural , unlike some processers that are complicated and make you wonder how people a thousand years ago developed them.

So , any mead makers or drinkers out there?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote