View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
togue
Pluggin' Addict

Eric -

pbadad's system should work just fine, similar to what I have done. Just a few things to watch out for.

Make sure the seal coat is fully dry before priming. How long do you wait pbadad?

Oil based primer works very well, and can be thinned and dip coated just like the seal coat. The Zinnser exterior in the gold can works well. I have had success with the water based, which can more easily be sprayed without solvent hazard issues.

With Createx you really have to heat set it or it never sets up. If you don't believe it, try spraying a plug and set it aside for as long as you want to wait, then wet it. I have some that were done 3-4 years ago and I can still run the Createx paint right off with a wet finger. You may get away with it, but I've seen the Etex come off a soaked plug like a snake shedding its skin if you aren't careful. Kind of a neat trick since it sloughs off with all the paint attached, like an old model airplane decal. Many have experienced this unfortunate uh-oh moment. Lots of guys use the heat gun approach (talk to gonefishing, cause that's what Don does), but I use an oven.

Also, make sure all is fully dry before you put on your clear coat, particularly Etex, since if you don't that can also lead to it all peeling right off.

You can keep using the epoxy approach, it definitely works, but it is expensive and messy. Also, search the net, there is some good info out there including some pretty detailed studies on the effectiveness of different sealing methods with % water penetration measured a a function of time. Do the homework, you might be surprised that what you find out is not what you thought works best.

In the end it is all personal preference anyway.

Can't wait to see you power casting some examples of your plug work, will keep an eye out for you on PI this fall.
togue is offline   Reply With Quote